+ 12 million plants
- At Viveiros Aliança Eucalyptus Globulus plants are grown for paper (main crop).
- Producing over 12 million plants per year, including other forestry species, olives trees as well ornamental plants for the gardens.
- The nursery it is located at the Espirra Estate, a vast agricultural and forest space covering 1700 hectares, with Eucalyptus Globulus forest plantations, wine grapes, cork and stone pine.
The Navigator Company’s forest management model:
- Identification of conservation zones protecting valuable habitats and species;
- Cooperation with national NGO’s for the conservation of the threatened species as the Bonelli’s Eagle and the Great Bustard;
- Creation of protective buffer zones around watercourses;
- Preservation and enhancement of wildlife corridors;
- Promotion of structural diversity by creating a mosaic at the landscape level;
- The Navigator Company has also been involved in several national and international projects to promote the preservation of biodiversity.
- Together with modern and certified production facilities, our FSC® and PEFC forest management certifications ensure our commitment towards environmental protection and guarantee that all the wood used for the production of pulp originates from controlled sources.
- Typically, Eucalyptus Globulus trees are cut after 12 years. Maintaining a responsible forest management model means that the net amount of wood is kept every year. In fact, that quantity increases, since more trees are planted than those used for pulpmaking. Oaks, stone pines and ornamental plants can also be found in our forest nursery.
- Member of FSC® - International (nº 2896).
- Respects the principles of the European Union initiative “Business & Biodiversity”.
- Member of the WBCSD (World Business Council for Sustainable Development) and founding member of the Portuguese branch (BCSD Portugal) and of the Portuguese Association.
- Navigator is part of a group that has both Forest Management Standards (FM) and Chain-of-Custody standards (CoC).
- Our plants are embodied in management systems in line with internationally recognised standards: Quality Management System, under ISO 9001; Environmental Management System, under ISO 14001; Health and Safety at Work Management System under OSHAS 18001.